POLO TEAM TO ENTER FIRST TOURNAMENT

Special Grandstand. Being Constructed-Championships to Be Under Auspices of Second Army Corps Area

The Administrative Board of the University has granted permission to the R. O. T. C. polo team to go to Brooklyn, New York, to take part in the intercollegiate R. O. T. C. polo championships there beginning on May 4. The tournament, which will be held at Fort Hamilton and will include teams from eight of the eastern colleges, will be under the auspices of the Second Corps Area of the United States Army and will be directly supervised by Lieutenant-General Robert Lee Bullard, U. S. A.

In this championship, which is the first one which has been held among the various R. O. T. C. units, elaborate preparations have been made at Fort Hamilton. A special grandstand, seating 5000, has been constructed to accommodate spectators, and already the ticket sale has been such as to assure that the cost of the tournament will be covered by the gate receipts. All of the games of the championship will be held at 4 0'clock in the afternoon.

Yale and Cornell in First Game

The opening game of the tournament will take place on Friday between Cornell and Yale, and will be followed on Saturday by a contest between West Point and the Virginia Military Institute. On Monday, May 8, will come the first trial for the University R. O. T. C. when it meets Norwich, and on the next day the first flight of the tournament will be completed with a game between Pennsylvania and Princeton. In the semifinals the winner of the University-Norwich tilt will on May 10 meet the victorious team in the Yale-Cornell contest, and on May 12 the winners of the Army-Virginia and Princeton-Pennsylvania games will play. The finals of the tournament will be held on Wednesday, May 16.

The University R. O. T. C. team, which will go to Brooklyn on may 7 and stay until May 10, making a second trip on May 15 if they qualify for the finals, has been practicing steadily since April 1 on a field on North Harvard Street under the direction of Major Goetz. Six members of the squad, which numbers about 20, practiced at Norwich during the vacation, making a very impressive improvement in their play. Although the University R. O. T. C. has no games, except those in the championship, definitely planned, invitations have been received for meetings with Princeton and the University of Arizona, and are now being considered.