HARVARD COMMITTEE HEARS PROF. HOLCOMBE ON LEAGUE

Speaking last night before the Harvard Committee of the League of Nations Non-Partisan Associations, Professor Arthur N. Holcombe '06 declared that "a proposition for a League of Nations, which has ceased to be only an ideal and has become a reality, is before this country, and is upheld by all citizens who believe in the foundation of universal peace through political agencies".

"Only two groups in the United States", stated Professor Holcombe, "offer any substantial or noteworthy opposition to the entrance of this country into the present League. Both of these classes, whom we may call on the one hand 'isolationists' and on the other 'moderate international associationists', lack any strong foundation for their unwillingness to cooperate with the League as it is now constituted. The former faction, basing their stand on the words of Washington, confuse the meaning underlying his statements, while the latter group, favoring some sort of international organization, overlook in their plans for a new association, the difficulty of inducing the 52 members of the present League to agree with their ideas".

"The question of the entrance of this country into a league of nations", concluded the speaker, "is properly and must be a non-partisan issue, because it touches an undivided national interest and because no political party can reasonably hope to dispose of the question against partisan opposition. Consequently any non-party organization merits the support of even the strongest party voters".