TENNIS MEN FIND TECH EASY AND TRIUMPH 8-1

Duane and Ingraham Play Listlessly in Doubles and Lose After Winning First Set With Ease

In their first losing match of the year as a doubles team Captain Duane and Ingraham gave the M. I. T. net-men their only score in the University's 8-1 victory on the Divinity Courts yesterday afternoon. With the exception of the second doubles match, in which Guild and Pfaffman triumphed only after three sets, the Crimson players had little difficulty in disposing of the Engineers in straight sets.

It the number one doubles match Captain Duane and Ingraham came out with the loser's share because they played a careless game from start to finish, with the possible exception of a few points here and there. It was not a case of their being defeated because of a marked weakness in any particular branch of the play but rather because of their early indifference which gave their opponents repeated opportunities to score.

Tech Men Deserve Credit

In considering the reason for the downfall of the University players, however due credit should be apportioned to the visitors. During the first instalment Russell and Tressell seemed a bit uncertain but were nevertheless able to force Duane and Ingraham to a deuce set before the latter team could win 7-5.

In the second set, however, the Engineers found their feet and, by picking up all the stray points which the Crimson players let slide, ran away with the honors by a 6-4 score.

Not until the third set was well advanced did the University pair begin to play more in earnest, taking their service game in short order to bring the count from 3-5 to 4-5. It was then too late, however, for their half-hearted rally did not prevent the M. I. T. men from wining the next game and with it the set at 6-4.

Next to Duane and Ingraham, Russell was largely responsible for the visitors' scoring. He won his service with regularity and made many points on his accurate placements. Tressell, too, played a good game, but did not measure up to his partner.

The afternoon's tennis was marked by few other matches of interest, since Ingraham, Guild, Pfaffman, Briggs, and Bondi ran off their contests with ease, although Dixon had to weather an extraordinarily large percentage of deuce games before he could down Storb 6-2, 7-5. In the number two doubles encounter, Miller's speed proved rather a problem for Guild and Pfaffman. Yet although they dropped the first set 5-7, they solved the riddle, and were able to walk away with the next two, 6-0, 6-0.

The complete summary is as follows:

Singles,--Ingraham, (H) defeated Tremaine (T), 6-2, 6-3; Guild (H) defeated Russell (T), 6-2, 6-3; Pfaffman (H) defeated Tressell (T), 6-2, 6-0; Briggs (H) defeated Miller (T), 6-4, 6-3; Bondi (H) defeated McWane (T), 6-2, 6-2; Dixon (H) defeated Storb (T), 6-2, 7-5.

Doubles,--Russell and Tressell (T) defeated Duane and Ingraham (H), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4; Guild and Pfaffman (H) defeated Miller and McWane (T), 4-6, 6-0, 6-0; Briggs and Dixon (H) defeated Storb and Harris (T), 6-2, 6-2.

Seconds Succumb to Holy Cross

The second team gave way to Holy Cross yesterday afternoon by a 4-2 score in a contest whose outcome was in doubt until the end of the final doubles match.

The complete summary is as follows: Singles,--McQueeny (H, C) defeated J. M. Cabot '23, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2; Keating (H, C) defeated J. P. Duncan '25, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4; Donald Stralem '25 defeated Doern (H, C), 0-6, 6-1, 8-6; E. M. Upjohn '25 defeated Cullen (H, C), 6-3, 6-2.

Doubles--McQueeny and Doern (HC) defeated Upjohn and Duncan, 6-2, 6-4; Keating and Cullen (H, C) defeated Stralem and L. H. Rouillion '2, 6-4, 6-4.