CALIFORNIA HOPES TO REPEAT VICTORY

Preliminaries to Be Held Today--Five Two-Milers Will Leave Today to Compete at Philadelphia

This afternoon at Franklin Field, Philadelphia, the preliminaries of the forty-seventh annual intercollegiate track meet will be held, with twenty-six University entrants participating. Today the interest will largely center around the field events, since if in any of them the best mark is made today rather than tomorrow, it will be counted as the winning distance.

Among the outstanding contenders for the high point score in today's and tomorrow's contest California, Princeton, Pennsylvania, Cornell, and Yale loom up large. The west coast team, which will make every effort to repeat its victories of the last two years, will consist of eleven men, nine of whom are field event entrants, the only track event men being a two miler and a high hurdler.

Crimson Chances Good

Although the University squad will probably not be among the high scorers, its chances of gathering 12 or 15 points are good. In the sprints and the 440-yard run, as well as in the two mile distance, it is probable that the field will be too fast for the Crimson entrants, but Burke in the 880-yard and mile runs, and Cutcheon in the latter, should score several points. Hauers, the present title-holder in the high hurdles, and Thayer in the lows, are also potential scorers for the University. With Davis out of the pole vault because of water on the knee, the Crimson chances in that event are slight, as they are also in both of the jumping contests, but in the other field events Carpenter and Miller in the discus, Greenidge in the javelin, Eastman in the shotput, and Marshal in the hammer, all have possibilities of adding to the University's total.

At 1 o'clock today the five Crimson two-milers, Chapin, Coburn, Lund, Lutz, and Sherburne, will leave for Philadelphia where tomorrow they will compete in the long distance event, in which no preliminaries are to be held.