FOR THOSE IN DANGER

There are many signs these days that the College Office is pursuing something of a new policy in its relation with the undergraduates--a policy which stresses the personal case as opposed to the impersonal ruling and red tape. Of this policy the extension of the "Quarter Day" plan to include final examination rulings, as announced yesterday, is a part. It is just that students who are content with low grades should be disciplined. But it is also just that students who have received low grades should be given an opportunity to plead any extenuating circumstances which may be responsible.

The extension of "Quarter Day" is admittedly an experiment. Not to mention the extra work entailed for the College Office, the Administrative Board itself is naturally under some hardship in remaining in Cambridge for several extra days when the rest of the College world has left for the vacation. Whether the experiment is successful enough to become a fixture depends largely upon the cooperation of the undergraduates. Those who do not go their half of the way by leaving their summer addresses cannot, if "ill luck attend them", expect to have redress and will only contribute to the failure of the experiment.