TRIPLE IN NINTH BREAKS DEADLOCK

Pitches Six Innings, Then Yields to Bemis--Burgess Scores Winning Hit and Comes Home on Wild Pitch

With a team greatly handicapped by the absence of Clark and Jenkins from the line-up, the University baseball nine fought an uphill battle to a thrilling 9 to 8 victory over Amherst yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field, a triple by Burgess breaking the deadlock in the last of the ninth. Coach Slattery surprised everyone by starting Young on the mound, although he was replaced by Bemis in the sixth when the visitors started a rally that ended only after five runners had crossed the plate.

Amherst Scores First

Amherst began the scoring when, with two out, Cameron reached first on a fielder's choice and Peirson knocked out a hard liner which slipped through both Gordon and Burgess, bringing in the first tally and allowing Peirson to reach third. A grounder bounced badly for Buell, and the second run came in.

Hammond and Buell Tally

The Crimson retaliated in the second and third, however, Hammond and Buell each making a run. For two innings the teams fought back and forth, neither side being able to score. Then in the first of the sixth, Woodruff, the visitors' center fielder, started the inning off with a scorching liner to center. Wood landed hard on the next ball, but Burgess made a spectacular catch that brought the first out. Cameron, the next batter, swung viciously and rapped out a liner between left and center which gave him ample time to come home before the ball was relayed in. Two more singles and a pass filled the bases.

In this tight place, Bemis was substituted for Young on the mound. Leete did not give the former a chance to get his hand in, but selecting the first ball, which broke low on the outside corner of the plate, he lifted it into deep left field, clearing the bases and reaching third himself. In spite of this discouraging start, Bemis settled down, and retired Warner for the last out.

Owen Brings In Two Men

In the last of the seventh, with two out, the Crimson made a brilliant recovery. Buell singled to center and Gordon worked a base on balls. Owen then landed on a low ball, knocking out a liner which looked at first like a homer. Williams made a long run, turned, and reached up for the ball, but it bounced out of his glove. Before he could recover, Owen had reached third and Buell and Gordon had both scored. Two more singles and two errors brought the total to six before Keegan, who substituted for Larrabee in the seventh, grounded out to short. Amherst evened the count again in the eighth.

In the last of the ninth, Burgess knocked a beautiful hit down the third base line, easily reaching third before the ball. In this critical place, Parker, the visitors' moundsman, appeared rattled for the first time. He made a will pitch that just ticked the catcher's glove, and Burgess came in with the winning run.

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Buell, 3b.,  5  2  3  2  3  1Gordon, c.f.  3  1  0  2  0  1Owen, 1b.  4  1  2  7  1  0Hammond, 2b.  5  2  2  2  2  1Burgess, l.f.,  5  2  1  1  0  0Thayer, r.f.  4  1  0  3  0  0Hill, s.s.  4  0  2  2  0  1Larrabee, c.  2  0  0  6  0  0Young, p.  2  0  0  0  2  1Bemis, p.  1  0  0  1  1  0Keegan, c.  2  0  0  1  0  0Total,  37  9  10  27  9  5Amherst  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Booth, 2b.  5  1  2  2  2  1Williams, l.f.  4  1  0  2  0  1Leete, r.f.  5  0  2  0  0  0Warner, c.,  4  0  0  3  1  0Woodruff, c.f.  4  1  1  2  0  1Wood, 1b.  5  0  0  11  0  0Cameron, s.s.  4  2  1  3  2  0Peirson, 3b.  4  2  1  2  2  1Parker, p.  5  1  2  0  2  0Total,  40  8  9  *25  9  4*1 out in ninth when game ended