MORE KEYS

On another page are given some of the facts regarding election to Phi Beta Kappa. The honor society's method of selection is its own concern; yet it represents an interest in which all the students share, and undergraduates criticisms are perhaps worth considering. These criticisms are few: it is recognized that the only fair basis of choice for a scholarly society is scholarship, and that non-intellectual activities cannot be counted except when the scholastic records of two candidates are equal. But the complaint may reasonably be made that the society is too limited in its numbers.

Forty years ago, the University chapter elected automatically the upper fifth of each class. As time passed, it was realized that this proportion was too high, and that automatic election was an unsatisfactory method. Somewhere in the course of the years, the size was put on an arbitrary numerical basis, and it has remained there, with a few changes, for many years. Meanwhile the size of successive classes has constantly increased, until the forty that are now elected annually represent only, about eight percent of the class, instead of the former twenty percent. This proportion is said to be smaller than at any other college in the country.

It is desirable that the standard should be kept high the honor because great or for those who are chosen. But it seems unfortunate that the number should be set at forty, without regard to the varying size of cleanses or to irregularities in the standards of scholarship from year to year. If the society could adopt a more flexible rule, such as the proportional basis used in many other colleges, its selections would surely work more justly.

One other point needs to be made. The present rule calls for only five elections after the awarding of degrees, yet it is conceivable that more than five seniors not already members of Phi Beta Kappa will receive degrees with special distinction. It seems a pity that an arbitrary limit should admit some and exclude others whose records show them to be equally deserving. A motion now pending would eliminate that fault. These are small matters, but everything that strengthens the University's confidence in the justice of the chapter's election system is a gain for the value of the Key.