GOLFERS HOPEFUL ON GREENWICH LINKS

C. L. Peirson '25, Metropolitan Junior Champion Is Playing Number One--Princeton Also Exceptionally Strong

Six members of the University golf team left last night for Greenwich, Conn., where they will oppose Pennsylvania in the morning and Princeton in the afternoon in a duel match today, at the Greenwich Country Club. The University golfers will play as follows: 1, C. L. Peirson '25; 2, J. J. Mapes '25; 3, Clark Hodder '25; 4, Captain D. A. Williams '23; 5, R. M. Clough '24; and 6, W. G. Soule '25. Tomorrow morning and afternoon the team will meet Columbia golfers at Garden. City in 36 holes of match play. In all matches three best ball foursomes will be played in addition to the six individual contests.

Peirson, playing number one for the University, holds the Metropolitan Junior championship of Greater New York in addition to the Junior state championship of New Jersey. Mapes was a finalist in the University golf tournament last fall. Hodder was the runner-up to Ouimet in the state championship of Massachusetts last summer. Captain Williams, a veteran in his third season of University play, was a semi-finalist in the intercollegiate championship in New York last year. Another veteran is Clough who played number two against Yale last year while Soule, with less experience than the others, has won for himself a place on the team by playing very steady golf all season.

The Pennsylvania a team includes three veterans: Conte, Stevens and Addis who are expected to offer stiff resistance to the Crimson golfers. The other three positions on the Red and Blue team are filled by members of last year's Freshman team.

From all indications Princeton has one of the strongest golf combinations in the Intercollegiate League. The Tigers have played four matches and have not lost a single point. Their team will line up as follows: Captain Knepper, Sparks, Mudge, Davis, Smith, and Cresswell. Captain Knepper ranks with Sweetster of Yale and R. T. Jones '23, as one of the best of college golfers in the country. Last year he was a semi-finalist in the National Amateur championship by defeating Tolley and Ouimet.

The Columbia golf team will face the Crimson as follows: Captain McGeary, Johnson, Duffy, Cannon, Partridge and Jackson. The veterans on this team are McGeary and Cannon. The Columbians have played Wesleyan and Brown winning the first and losing the second match.

Following these three matches the University golf team will meet Brown at the Rhode Island Country Club in its next meet on Saturday, May 12. The Rhode Island team won its first match last Friday by defeating the Wesleyan golfers 5 to 1, but lost to Princeton last Saturday.