DEAN NINE OVERCOMES SCRUBS IN LOOSE GAME

Numerous Casualties Suffered by Both Teams--Visitors Score 12-5 Victory After Thomas Weakens in Fifth

The second University baseball team suffered its second reverse of the season yesterday at Soldiers Field when it went down to defeat before the Dean Academy nine by the score of 12 to 5. The teams were more evenly matched than the score indicates, but the seconds failed to make use of their opportunities, and time and again were caught off bases. Both teams suffered minor injuries during the game. In the second inning a hard-hit ball bounced poorly for Hanson, the Dean shortstop, and, striking him squarely in the face, broke his nose. He was able to play through the game, however. Fitton, at third for the Crimson, was also hit in the face and had to leave the field, while Hoffman received a slight injury on the kneecap from a foul tip.

Little Trouble in First Four Innings

Thomas had little trouble in disposing of the visitors in the first four innings. In the third, a double and a single resulted in the first score of the game for the visitors. The Crimson came back in the fourth, receiving two passes and bunching three hits. Both Kerr and Lucas crossed the plate before the end of the inning, placing the Seconds in a momentary lead.

Wild throwing and erratic fielding, however, started a Dean batting rally in the fifth, and four runs were scored before a well-timed throw by Lucas from right field cut off a man at third and brought the inning to a close. Shortly afterwards Goddard was substituted for Ford on the mound for the visitors, and their lead was never again threatened.

The teams batted as follows:

Harvard 2nd.--Stiger s.s., Hurley, Collins c.f., Heageney l.f., Lucas r.f., Kerr 1b., Gibb 2b., Fitton, Gardner 3b., Hoffman, Chipman c., Thomas p.

Dean Academy.--Hannford 3b., Toulouse, Londener c.f., Doherty c., Tanton 1b., Trudau l.f., O'Brien r.f., Donovan 2b., Hanson s.s., Ford, Goddard p.