FRENCH ARCHITECTURE DESCRIBED BY HAFFNER

Pictures Exhibited Before Members of Cerole Francais--Shows Harmony of Dress and Architectural Design

Speaking on "French Architecture in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries", Professor J. J. Haffner addressed in French the members of the Cercle Francais in 9 Grays Hall last night.

While he delivered his address numerous slides were thrown upon the screen showing, the palace at Versailles,--its plans, exteriors and interiors, views of its parks and statuary. The famous muscums, the Louvre and the Invalides, were also shown as famous examples of French architecture of that period. Among the chateaux that were shown for their beautiful design were those at Vaux and Marly. In addition many examples of commemorative architecture were exhibited.

French Architecture Copied

Professor Haffner pointed out the harmony that existed between the dress of the period and the architectural design of the panelling and furnishings. In concluding his talk, Professor Haffner stated that toward the latter part of the eighteenth century, French architecture was copied to a great extent by other foreign countries, but without much success because of the misinterpretation that resulted.

Professor Haffner first came to the University in 1921 as exchange professor from France and has since been appointed to a professorship in the School of Architecture, a position which he now holds.