THEOLOGICAL SCHOOL COMMENCEMENT HELD

A. W. Clark Gains Degree With Cum Laude and Wins Solomon Wheaton Prize of $1000--Awards Announced

Bishop William Lawrence '73, Fellow of Harvard College, was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity at the commencement exercises of the Episcopal Theological School at St. Paul's Chapel, yesterday morning. In addition four men were graduated from the school with the degree of Bachelor of Divinity and five prizes were awarded for excellence in reading and pulpit delivery.

The commencement program began with holy communion at 8 o'clock and at 11 o'clock the commencement exercises were held. After a short address by the Reverend William H. Lincoln, president of the Board of Trustees, Bishop Lawrence conferred the degrees upon the candidates.

Following the exercises a luncheon was served in the quadrangle to the friends and alumni of the school and at 3 o'clock the Alumni Association held a business meeting at which the following officers for the coming year were elected: President, Egisto F. Chauncey; vice-president, Sherrard Billings '80; treasurer, Raymond H. Kendrick; executive committeemen, Edmund James Cleveland G. '05, Dwight Walter Hadley '10; preacher for 1924, Edward H. Van Etten; substitute preacher, Edward T. Sullivan.

At 5 o'clock the Reverend William Joseph Scarlett '09 delivered an address at the special alumni service in the St. Paul's chapel. The commencement program came to a close with an alumni dinner at 6 o'clock.

Dean Washburn Eulogizes

Before presenting Bishop Lawrence for his degree, Dean Washburn delivered a short eulogy in which he referred to him as "student, teacher, dean and officer of this School of Theology; bishop of Massachusetts; wise administrator, helpful teacher, tender pastor. . . . constant in his labors for sound training of men who are entering the ministry".

Harvey Foo-Ding Huong 3E.T.S., of Hankow, China, received his degree of Bachelor of Divinity in absentia as he was granted a leave of absence early in the spring. Herbert Brooke Morris 3E.T.S., of Pawhuska, Okla, was also awarded a degree of Bachelor of Divinity, while Joseph Buchanan Bernardin 3E.T.S., of Kansas City, Mo., and Allen Williams Clark 3E.T.S., of Boston were awarded degrees of Bachelor of Divinity cum laude.

Prize Awards Announced

The Solomon Wheaton Prize for reading, with an income of $1000 went to Allen Williams Clark 3E.T.S., of Boston, while the William H. Lincoln Prizes for reading, with incomes of $35 and $25 were awarded to Richard Preston 2E.S., of Lexington, and to Francis Alonzo Caswell 1E.T.S., of Salem, respectively. The William Otis Smith Prize of $100 for excellence in the Department of Homiletics was divided between Allen Williams Clark 3E.T.S. and Herbert Brooke Morris 3E.T.S.

The Right Reverend Charles Lewis Slattery '91, bishop coadjutor of Massachusetts, delivered the principal address at the commencement service in which he outlined the opportunities of youth in bringing about a better understanding of God.