AN INTERURBAN MEET

It is unfortunate that as soon as Uncle Sam and John Bull sit down together to smoke a quiet pipe of peace, one or the other always lets slip some inadvertent bit which blights their budding amity. Uncle Sam, with his bluff, outspoken manner, has been charged most frequently with this offense, but now there can be no doubt that John has been the offender. However happy Americans have felt over the settlement of the British debt question, they cannot but take umbrage now when London challenges New York's title to speed. Certainly nothing could teach them more nearly, and they will be proud of the agile swiftness with which two champions have arisen in New York to deny the monstrous allegation.

As these champions say, the speeds which the London timers have registered of New York pedestrians, taxicabs, subway and surface trains are grossly misreported and under-rated. The fact that the New York pedestrian's speed is put between two and three-quarters and three miles per hour instead of at a single figure shows this to be a clumsy estimate. Moreover to measure walking speed on Broadway and Fifth Avenue where unusual sights strike the eye not only from every side but from above and below is obviously unfair. The case for the New York subways can be proved without argument, by merely pointing to a glorious past of accidents. Indeed no more than three or four weeks ago one train, by its speed, created a short circuit and an ensuing riot of three thousand; while but a short time before another train speeded its wheels off and forced the passengers to hoist themselves up for air by ladder. In the Londoners' challenge there is no mention of the comparative velocities of London and New York cab horses. The only possible explanation of this omission is that the London cab horse is so glaringly inferior that no amount of effrontery could put him in a class with those swift American ponies which coast along the curbing of Fifth Avenue.

Yet the righteous outcry of our champions, while assuaging our wounded pride will hardly convince the obstinate Britain without actual proofs. Of course it will be difficult to single out the average pedestrian, the average taxi, the average subway train from each of the contesting cities; it will be difficult to select a tournament ground where like conditions of traffic exist. But where there is a will, there is a way. The difficulties must somehow be overcome for to continue in England's dust would be intolerable.