SCHOLASTIC REQUIREMENTS UNDERGO RADICAL REVISION

Will Include All Students in Groups I, II, and III Without Regard to Distinction

Students who enter Harvard College next September, and succeeding classes, will not be required to take more than four courses in their Freshman year; but for promotion to the sophomore class they will be obliged to pass all four of these courses with grades of C or better in at least three. This important decision was approved at a meeting of the Faculty on Tuesday afternoon. It is pointed out that no change has been made in the requirements for the degree. A total of 16 courses plus the required English, with grades of C or better in at least two-thirds will still be necessary. Under the new rule the extra fifth course may be taken in any of the four years, or may be divided into half courses taken in different years. The increase in the Freshman requirements for promotion, from two C's and a D to three C's and a D, is made less severe by the fact that only four courses, instead of five, will be required of first-year students.

Raise Promotion Requirements

This increase involves a corresponding advance in the minimum number of C's for promotion to the Junior and Senior classes. At present these numbers are five C's and eight C's respectively, but for 1927 and later classes, as well as for transfer students who enter next year, the minimum will be respectively six and nine. It will be seen that this does not increase the present number of C's required for Sophomore and Junior years, but makes it necessary that the extra C gained in Freshman year be kept in reserve for senior year, so that in that year only two and one-half C's will be needed instead of the present three and one-half. These changes will not affect classes already in college.

The "Dean's List" Liberalized

Several minor changes were also approved of which the most important pertain to the Dean's List. The privileges of the List will be extended to all students in groups 1, 2, and 3 of the Rank List, whether they are candidates for a degree with distinction or not. At the same time the clause which stated that "all students" are required to attend their first class after the Christmas and April recesses, has been amended to read "all students not on the Dean's List". This means that those on the Dean's List will be permitted to extend the recess at both ends, instead of only at the beginning as heretofore.

May Not Reduce Work

It was also decided that students who for any reason have been allowed to reduce their number of required courses will not be permitted to participate in undergraduate activities without special permission from the Administrative Board, and similarly that men temporarily excused from attendance at classes may not take part in such activities until they have returned to their classes, subject to exceptions by the Board. The other changes in the regulations were of a definitive or interpretative nature.