PROPOSED ROADS TO FREEDOM

The Faculty's recent extensions of the Dean's List were somewhat overshadowed yesterday by the news of Freshman requirements. Yet in their way the former are as important as the latter; they mark two more steps in a series that has been proceeding quietly all year. The University is a many-headed creature and when it moves it steps circumspectly one is tempted to grow impatient with it; but in most cases the caution is warranted--and it will be seen on looking back over as year like the one just past that the total advance, though made by slow degrees, has been considerable.

Since last September, the Dean's List has proceeded three distinct paces. Previously it affected only Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. This year it was first extended to all freshmen who attained a B average at midyears. The advantage is clear: Freshmen who have shown their ability to that extent deserve to be entrusted with more confidence, and the added responsibility at that time will effectively complete the transition which marks the first year.

The others two amendments were made last Tuesday. By exempting men one the list from attendance after the long recesses as well as before, the privilege is made consistent with itself: and at the same time is advantages are of extending the Christmasfor a day or two after New year's Day will be appreciated by all, especially by those living at a distance; yet men who have attained the required rank may be trusted not to abuse the privilege. The inclusion of all of group 3, regardless of candidacy for distinction, removes a quibble which has caused annoyance and often injustice. It is only a slight extension, but it is definitely on the way toward greater freedom for those who have proved their ability to use it wisely. One other change, related to the Dean's List, has also been adopted this year undergraduates enrolled in courses of the upper group, "primarily for Graduates", will be trusted, in respect to those courses, on the basis as graduates.

Earlier in the year, the CRIMSON announced its intention of considering compulsory attendance from various points of view, and arriving at some conclusion. It would seem that, for the present at least, the College is not ready for complete freedom of cuts. The ultimate purpose of greater freedom would be to increase each student's personal responsibility and so to increase his interest in study. But it is hard to judge whether the increased interest would follow the freedom, or whether the interest is necessary firs, as a safeguard. No plan which makes a sudden change would succeed: freedom and interest must develop side, and for that reason the cautious steps of the authorities are justified. Such mild measures as the extension of the Dean's List, and greater freedom for students in more advanced courses, are a slow but cumulative means of reaching the same goal. The principle must be not indiscriminate liberty, but liberty for those who can shoulder the responsibility it implies.