Professor Copeland, After 30 Years of Continuous Service, Will Take First Leave; Will Meet His Advisees as Usual

Professor Charles Townsend Copeland '82, who for 30 years has been connected with the English Department of the University, will this year take the first sabbatical leave he has had since he began teaching in 1893. English 12, his course in English composition will be given by Mr. R. W. Brown, lecturer and writer, and formerly professor at Wabash and Carleton Colleges while his course in English Literature under the Commission of Extension Courses in Boston will be omitted entirely. Professor Copeland will meet his advisees on Tuesday at the hours scheduled in the Directory of Instructors and Advisors. Although he will be living in his apartment in Hollis 15 his Monday and Wednesday evening hours for students will, for the present at least, be discontinued.

Professor Copeland graduated from the University in 1882 with the degree of A.B. and spent one year in the Law School. From 1893 until 1910 he lectured in English Literature at the University and in 1910 was made an assistant professor. Seven years later he became an associate professor in which capacity, he is now serving. He has written the "Life of Edwin Booth" and "Freshman English and Theme Correcting in Harvard" and has edited a number of books of English Literature. He is an honorary member of the Phi Beta Kappa society, and is a Trustee of the State Library of Massachusetts. Last year he was made an honorary life member of the Union.