930 PLUS

"And still they come." The record-breaking number of first year students enrolling in the College would ordinarily have caused a near panic in the college Office. Last year there would have been a double line extending down Kirkland Street to Massachusetts Avenue, and the freshman class would have advertised itself by its clamoring and complaints. But this year the nine-hundred-and-thirty-and-more novices were initiated with nearly perfect organization and quiet.

Not the least admirable feature of the new year has been the work of the Student Advisory Council, which has met the problem of adviser and advisee more promptly and efficiently than ever before. If amid the welter of first college appointments and new surroundings, a large proportion of Freshmen have already seen advisers, it is due to the work of the Committee, which has changed the old order of things; gone are the days when the lordly Senior Adviser emerged from his den to visit his meek advisees as the snow began to fly.

A vitalized system of Senior Advisers is not the only sign that times are changed. But fortunately the character of most of the changes is very unlikely to provoke the Ciceronian cry of "O tempora! O mores!" The hours for afternoon classes, the extension of the Dean's List, the requirements for promotion: all are new.

It is impossible to expect that all these will work out at the first. But they are all evidences of the effort which has been made to reach a more perfect working arrangement between the student and the college. There is no doubt that the authorities have done much to ameliorate conditions in the University. Whether the much which remains to be done will be done depends to a large extent on the success of the present ventures. 930 plus freshman is a large order but the continual increase of members of undergraduates will test innovations the more severely. If undergraduates do their respective parts, the test will be a fair one.