GOOD OLD DAYS AND BAD OLD DAYS

Bits of Harvard History: by S. F. Batchelder '93. Harvard University Press: Cambridge. 1924.

By O. E. F.

Many an old grad makes his presence obnoxious to us by his eternal revival of "good old days," and accompanying accusations of our own times as weak, degenerate and dull. But here there comes among us an old grad, may more, one who is delving into a past that is far beyond the memory of the oldest of all the great collection of "Oldest Living Graduates" in existence, to tell us far other things. For the old days may have been, in fact were, undeniably great, but they were far from good.

For our edification Mr. Batchelder revives, with lively and graphic pen, the very inmost origins of things. We see once more the Revolution roaring about Cambridge, and the destructive and rather ill-disciplined patriots who used the college fence for kindling, stole the curtains out of Holden Chapel, and disfigured Hollis and old Stoughton. We learn the true history of that first President who beat his assistant unconscious with a club, half-starved the boys, and cheated to the tune of thousands of pounds. From this poor beginning we watch the academy grow to a college, and the college to a University, are present at the fights to found the first Medical School in America and the first Law School in the world. Suddenly, we find ourselves participating in--the same old dispute that rages now over Freshman Dormitory Commons. But our Freshmen today have little to complain of beside the stinking meals, the flint-like bread, the sour beer and cider of those days. Pie was introduced, after many riots, and we are told that, such was the durability of this dainty, thrifty students were wont to fasten their share to the bottom of the table with a fork (after forks had been introduced!) against leaner times.

They played pranks in those days, we learn, some that we should not dare to play now, and some that we should be ashamed to. The stealing of cannon from the government armory was a more bagatelle. One bright wit filled the morning coffee with Tartar Emetic. So vile was the coffee, that no one noticed the taste, and the Yard shortly took on the aspect of Mount Vesuvius. It was common to wage giant war in Commons, when no one's life was safe, Great days. It was common to be cold in winter and hungry, under-fed at all times. Good old days?

The true story of Holden Chapel makes a chapter in itself. No little space is given to the Law and Medical Schools, and we are given a vivid picture of the early S.A.T.C.'s of the Civil and Revolutionary Wars.

One does cavil however, at Mr. Batchelder's assertion that the last College Character passed with John the Orange-man. One is inclined to think that he has fallen, here for once, into the error of other graduates, who know of the characters of the past, see those of their own time, but who have lost touch too much with the college to see those of the present. Need one give a list? Perhaps men do not like seeing themselves in print as "characters." But one may point to Terry, recently lamented, or to the whole tribe and olan of Yard Cops, of whom Mr. Batchelder has made no mention. And though a absolutely trained college no longer calls the head maid "Regina Bonarum," still I feel that if Mr. Batchelder had known the succession of Goodies who have swept in my abodes for these four years, he would not yet despair of Harvard's stock of characters.

This is an amiable and most instructive book, reviving many forgotten things that should never have been forgotten, explaining many traditions that have been twisted. Any Harvard man, in fact, I think, anyone interested in early matters of America, will find this book of absorbing interest and unending delight.