1-1 TIE WITH MAPLES BAD NEWS FOR TIGER

No "Sudden Death" Period Because of Imminent Princeton Game -- New Line-Up an Improvement

Harvard will be in a fit frame of mind against Princeton next Saturday, for last night at the Arena the team fought the Maple A. A. to a 1 to 1 tie which even two overtime periods failed to break.

From the moment when Hodder evened the count in the first minute of the third period until the end of the game the Crimson flashed a brand of hockey that should carry it far in the coming Big Three series. With an eye to the first objective contest but a few days away, Coach Winsor decided not to play the sudden death period which was scheduled to end the game.

Both teams played far more successfully on the defense than on the attack. Each Harvard skater in particular dogged his man closely so that the Maple forward line was never able to penetrate intact beyond the Crimson quarter ice; individual players were able on a few occasions to take loose shots at the goal but without any effect.

New Line-up Promising

The new University line-up showed signs of promise. Beals gave some of the necessary strength to the center of the Crimson front. Harvard's passing game, however, was not up to that of the green-jerseyed skaters. Frequently an easy poke from the Crimson center was entirely missed by the other man.

Before the game was a minute old Morrison took the puck from a flurry in Crimson territory and whipped it into the cage before Newell knew that he was shooting.

Hodder Ties It Up

Fifty-five seconds after the opening of the third period Crosby carried the puck up within a few feet of the cage, but his attack seemed foiled when Hurley drove it far out into the rink. Hodder was there, however, and smashed the rubber right back past the Maple goal-tend for the tying score.

During the third period and the two overtime sessions Cummings had charge of the net and displayed marked improvement over his earlier performances. He made 14 stops to Newell's 12. Another player showing to good advantage was Burgess, who was particularly effective in halting some of the Maple dashes. The summary: HARVARD  MAPLE A. A. Walker, Austin, l.w.  r.w., Morrison, Bryant Beals, Hodder, Gardner, c.  c., Hughes Hodder, Howe, Burgess, r.w.  l.w., Dunn, Mosher, MacDonald Chase, Hammond, l.d.  r.d., Fisher,. Bryant, Chisholm Crosby, Hammond, r.d.  l.d., McKay Newell, Cumings, g.  g., Hurley

Score, Harvard 1, Maple A. A. 1. Goals, Morrison, Hodder. Referees, Wiggett and Stewart. Time, three 15-minute periods and two 5-minute overtime periods.