Communication

Our Religious Life

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In the editorial of October 4 pledging your support to Harding and Coolidge, you declared:

"To that minority which holds the foreign relations of America above mere material prosperity, which cherishes international good will beyond the gratification of national prejudice, the selection of a chief executive is not easy. The essential differences between the rival nominees are few. The question resolves itself into one of parties and principles."

Now, however, in Senator Harding's own words, "the issue is clear" between the two men and parties. "I do not want to clarify these obligations; I want to turn my back on them. It is not interpretation but rejection that I am seeking"-these are the Senator's declarations last Thursday at Des Moines. "I favor going in," unequivocally declares Cox, and affirms his willingness to accept reservations positively safeguarding our constitutional processes are providing for our withdrawal should the League depart from the path of justice and right.

The issue is clear, the divergence of policy unmistakable. Where does the CRIMSON stand? Sir, this is the most momentous question of foreign policy that our country has faced in a century. It is a question that cannot be ignored; it reappears in varying form in all of our domestic problems, and overshadows them all. It must be settled one way or the other. As Solon required all Athenians to take sides on public questions, so now, when the issue has been squarely, joined, it is the duty of all organs of opinion to meet the issue squarely. In respect to our entrance into the League of Nations, where does the CRIMSON stand? Cox is for the League, with safeguards if necessary. Harding would reject the League altogether. Let the CRIMSON speak again: which man does it choose? FRANKLIN S. POLLAK '24.