HEBRON TAKES TWO EXTRA PERIODS TO DOWN 1927

Superior Passing Wins for Pine Tree State Basketball Players After Two Deadlooks--Final Score 26 to 22

After two gruelling five-minute overtime periods the Freshman quintet was forced to bow to the Hebron Academy five 26 to 22 yesterday afternoon. It was the first-year team's second successive defeat.

The game was by far the most sensational of the year. The Crimson, with Eby leading the scoring, speedily gained the upper hand and had a 12 to 4 advantage at half time. The Maine schoolboys rallied in the second half, however, and outplayed and outfought Coach Chase's charges. Hobbs and Crane peppered the Harvard basket with long shots, all of which came dangerously close, and enough of which dropped through the net to bring a 19 to 19 deadlock as the whistle blew.

The first overtime period was scoreless for three minutes until Edes put Hebron ahead by tallying a single point on a free throw. The Crimson could not break through the visitors' five-man defense, but with less than half a minute to go, Crane fouled Leekley, giving the latter two shots with the outcome of the game hinging upon his success. He dropped the first cleanly through the hoop, tying the score. The second, which would bring victory, struck the iron, wavered on the edge, and dropped outside the net, making a second extra period necessary.

At this point, the Hebron attack once more asserted itself. Crane caged two fouls, Hobbs made good a long shot, and Edes contributed a pretty goal from midcourt. Leekley retaliated with a brilliant individual rally which netted one score, but the game ended with the Hebron players effectively stalling for time.

It was a richly deserved triumph for the Pine Tree State schoolboys. Their defense was stronger and their passing game much more effective than the Harvard team's. Harvard 1927  Hebron Academy Eby, McCrum, r.f.  l.g., Wheeler Eaton, l.f.  r.g., Edes, Flynn Leekley, de Ravignon, c.  c., Bridge, Beach Malick, Hesse, r.g.  l.f., Crane, Bridge Lightbourn, l.g.  r.f., Hobbs

Score, Hebron Academy 26, Harvard 1927 22. Goals from the floor, Eby 3, Leekley 2, Eaton, McCrum, Hesse, Hobbs 3, Crane 2, Bridge 2, Beach, Edes. Goals from fouls, Lightbourn 3, Eby, Eaton, Leekley, Crane 2, Bridge 2. Beach 2, Edes, Wheeler. Referee, Lewis. Time, four 10-minute periods and two 5-minute over-time periods.