400 HEAR LAUDER'S INFECTIOUS CHUCKLE

Pleads Effectively for International Understanding and Sympathy--Ends "You've Had Enough for Nothing"

Sir Harry Lauder, "the man of the infectious chuckle," as he was introduced by Professor G. P. Baker '87, lived up to that description in his speech at the Union yesterday noon, and at the same time presented an argument for "appreciation of the simple things in life, and friendliness one with another," by men and nations alike, which held his listeners' attention as closely as did his humor. About 400 men heard him speak, and many could not be admitted.

"I am here today with an express purpose," he said. "I want to leave a few kindly thoughts with you. It is good for us that we have met one another. When men and countries know and understand each other, they like each other. We need more understanding and sympathy."

Politicians Will Start Next War

Sir Harry declared that international unfriendliness will lead to a war, just as it caused the last. "The politicians will start the thing," he said, "and then you'll have to go. And I know that you don't want to kill anybody. My boy didn't want to kill anybody, and yet he died in the trenches like a dog."

The story of the old Scotchwoman from whom all his efforts could not draw a smile, who later said, "What a time I had to keep from laughing at him!" was one of many others which made waves of laughter alternate with moments of deep attention throughout the speech.

"Many people ask me how I learned to be a comic," he said. "When I was a boy, I worked all through the day in the coal mines. When I got up in the morning it was dark, and when I got to the mine it was still dark. Down in the mine it was darker yet, and at night, when I came up, it was dark again. And that's how I learned to be a comic."

At the last the entire audience stood clapping and slowly moving out of the hall, when Sir Harry rose again to speak. He wanted a minute or so for everyone to find a seat, and then said, "I think you've had enough for nothing."