THE HAPPY JOURNALIST

It is rather difficult to comment on Mr. Vanderlip's interesting statement that college journalism is the best extra-curriculum activity, except to point out that in his enthusiasm he has perhaps forgotten some of its drawbacks. For it must of necessity lag behind parchesi in the development of fighting qualities, and its training is apt to make a young man totally unfit to write triolets or sing to anything but a bassoon. Perhaps the only thing an undergraduate does learn from it is not to take himself seriously for he has great opportunity to see how flippantly everyone else takes him.

But in emphasizing the merits of journalism as a career Mr. Vanderlip voices the opinion of many. It is perhaps the only profession left that can appeal to the "gentleman adventurer" type of mind. For since steel has gone out of fashion lead is the only metal available for those who would live by their wits. The game of course has its drawbacks, some of which Mr. Vanderlip points out in his criticism of the press. A criticism not as virulent as Mr. Upton Sinclair's, but their if everyone criticized as Mr. Sinclair what would become of Mr. Sinclair?

One of the most discouraging features is the influence of what "Marse Henry" called the "counting house". Advertisements flood the American newspaper. The story of the twenty-four page magazine holds good for all journalism. One day the Business Manager called on the editor.

"Of our twenty-four pages," he said, "twenty-three are advertising and one is news matter."

"I know it," said the editor. "It's dreadful. What can we do about it?"

"That is what I wanted to see you about. I've just landed another full page ad."

And the story of the eager young journalist who, after swearing by G--, that his editorials were never colored by the advertising, was told that they never had much color anyhow, is just as pathetic.

Advertising makes for shady color, or no color at all; it also makes for bulk. A former English ambassador once objected that the hardest part of his day's work was reading the papers--until he was shown how the science of looking at an American paper was in overlooking most of it.

Then too there is the bunkum that is considered fit to print. On this point Mr. Belloc, as the Happy Journalist is pleasantly frank. He loves to walk about at night, and often stops to

". . . take a squint

At printers working at their work.

I muse upon the rot they print.

The beggars please me, and the mud:

The editors beneath their lamps

As Mr. Howl demanding blood,

And Lord Retender stealing stamps."

There are all these disadvantages money, rot, the "many headed beast", dirty politics et al. Yet in the end the career is one that still remains some what individualistic. Mr. Waterson on resigning from the "Courier Journal" became "Editor Emeritus" because due to his predecessor's and his own efforts and personalities the paper had become as much an institution as any university.

In journalism it is still possible it would seem, for an individual to create an institution. And as such the profession should draw many from one of the few institutions that graduates individuals.