BRUNONIANS MAKE READY FOR FRAY WITH CHICAGO

Students Cheer Departing Brown Eleven--Robinson Warns Men of Hard Fight Ahead--Team Is Fit

Providence, R. I., October 10, 1924--The Brown football team came through the game with Colby last Saturday in excellent condition, with only one man placed on the injured list. Magee, tackle on the freshman eleven of last year, suffered a broken toe and will consequently be out of the game for several weeks. Coach Robinson used three sets of backfield men in the game, and all three acquitted themselves well.

Coach Robinson was not a bit pleased when he learned of Missouri's victory over Chicago. He gave the squad a brief talk and said: "That means that you fellows will have your hands full. An unexpected licking is a vital tonic. Teams which experience one almost always come back with their best brand of play. There's no over-confidence, no carelessness or other hampering features to their play. You'll find a fighting team facing you and you'll have to play your heads off."

Pollywogs Try Chicago Plays

Tuesday afternoon the first team on countered the stiffest opposition of the year in a long scrimmage against the Pollywogs, as the scrubs are called. The Pollywogs used Chicago plays and did not have a great deal of success with them, but they seemed to have acquired the Westerners' defense and held the Varsity for downs on several occasions. Only one touchdown was scored against the Pollywogs. The two teams lined up as follows: Varsity, Sheldon and Stifler, ends; Roman and Eayward, tackles; McCrillis and McDermott, guards; Eckstein, center; Richardson, quarterback, Keefer and Payor, halves; Mishel, fullback. Pollywogs; McOsker and Chase, ends; Hodge and W. Smith, tackles; Talamint and Glory, guards; Holden, center; Eisenberg, quarterback; Suizberger and Lawrence, halves; Howarth, fullback.

Yesterday the team left for Chicago, where it is to encounter the strong University of Chicago eleven tomorrow. A thousand students, led by the University Band, escorted the team to the Union Station at 8.30. Classes were suspended for an hour at that time by order of President Faunce, and no chapel services were held in the morning. The crowd of student made plenty of noise, and the train steamed out of the trainshed amid thunderous cheers.

Thirty-six men made the trip to Chicago--twenty-six players in addition to the coaches, Manager Thomas W. Taylor and Assistant Manager Wellesley Wright.