ADD OLD FRENCH ETCHINGS TO FOGG ART COLLECTIONS

AUTOGRAPHED PRINT INCLUDED IN RECENT BEQUEST

A valuable addition to the print collection of the Fogg Art Museum has been received in the form of a group of French etchings of old Paris given by the late Joseph B. Marvin, it was announced yesterday.

The etchings were drawn by Charles Meryon, the most original etcher of the mid-nineteenth century, and one of the greatest architectural etchers of all times. Printed in brownish and often on green paper, which Meryon himself prepared, the etchings are unusually brilliant. There are 20 eachings in the collection given by Mr. Marvin, and of these there are two and even four impressions from a plate in its different stages of development.

Worked Under Louis Napoleon

Meryon's work was done in the period when Houssman, under the direction of Louis Napoleon, was demolishing old Paris in the course of laying out the Paris of today.

Among the prints are four impressions of Le Stryge one of which shows the uncompleted plate of the town of St. Jacques and the figure of the grotesque monster that has for centuries sat perched on the tower of the cathedral watching over Paris.

Autographed Etching in Group

There is also a very early print of St. Etienne du Mont which is very brilliant. This print like many others in the collection, has passed through some of the greatest and most important collections of Meryon's etchings. The most interesting etching; however, is the earlier of two different prints of L'Abside de Notre Dame, which is the actual print given by Meryon to his teacher Blery, and bears Mryon's presentation in his own handwriting. The collection is a most valuable one, and a very important addition to the etchings already in the possession of the museum.