COMPETE FOR DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIP TODAY

FIRST ROUND IS COMPLETE IN UNION TOURNAMENT

In the semi-final round of the University doubles tournament played yesterday afternoon at the Divinity Courts, the favorites, Briggs and Harada, and Wheeler and Davies won their matches, although each encounter went to four sets. Wheeler and Davies met last year's Freshman stars, Gordon and Lenhart, in a preliminary engagement to gain their position in the semi-final bracket.

By far the most outstanding match was that between Briggs and Harada, and the Kunkel brothers. The latter, getting away to an early start, took the first set at 6-3 before Briggs, who is fundamentally a back-court player, could get his net game going. Another factor which contributed to the reverse in this set was Briggs's failure to hold his service in the fourth game.

But in the second set, the Japanese star and his partner began to hit the ball harder, and contenting themselves for the most part with remaining in the back of the court, they depended on the severity of their drives to keep the Kunkel brothers from making any placements from the net position. Briggs and Harada took that set 6-1, and thereafter had the match well in hand, the score of the third and fourth sets being 6-4, 7-5.

The Ingraham-Dixon, Wheeler-Davies match was closer than that in the other half of the tournament. It was only after a hard-fought struggle that Wheeler and Davies emerged the victors 7-5, 6-4, 1-6, 7-5. It is interesting to note that Wheeler and Davies won only one more game than their opponents.

The finals between Briggs and Harada, and Wheeler and Davies, will be played off this afternoon at 2 o'clock on the Divinity Courts.

The Union singles tennis tournament progressed through the first round yesterday afternoon without upsets. Except for Dobevoise, Gordon, and Allen, who will play their matches today, all the seeded players came through without any difficulty.

Probably the most interesting match was that between Parke Cummings and E. D. Pratt, which the former won, 6-4, 6-2.