MARE NOSTRUM

Mrs. Justice Brandeis' commendation of Senator let Follette's. stand against the exaggerated Monroeism which has protected economic imperialism in Latin America recalls the great change in American policy which has been going on since the Monroe Doctrine was formulated a hundred years ago. The first policy of the United States--and it was welcomed by Spanish America with almost patriotic gratitude--was to keep America for Americans, to prevent European aggrandizement of American soil and resources. It was a policy of self-determination protected by a "hands off" warning to the great powers.

The sterilizing of European ambitions in America lost a large number of small states, politically and economically immature, with only one place to turn to for advice, help, and money. American interest in Latin. American concerns grew slowly throughout the nineteenth century, and after the triumphant Spanish War and the building of the Panama Canal, its influence became all powerful, and all important. American business men controlled the economic life, American adventurers sought their future in these undeveloped countries. Politics have been the tool of American business. The natural growth of a strong economic and political life rising out of the natural abilities of these peoples has been thwarted by unreflecting, but none the less poisoning imperialism.

Not only private business, but also the American government, have come to exercise a preeminent influence over the internal affairs of these countries. Government equipment and even troops have been lent to administrations for use against rival parties. Governments, which received the complete support of their people, have not been granted recognition for years because the original prejudice of our State Department was in favor of the previous administration. When strong popular movements, hostile to American encroachment, have been placed in power, the American government has not hesitated to interfere in a financial and even in a military way. To many Latin Americans is seems that the influence of the United States, at first Intended to protect the infant liberties of small nations, has become a blighting incubus, stifling native development. The swaddling clothes, tenderly wrapped about these small peoples a hundred years ago, have, by natural growth of the protected object, become a straight jacket to cramp their initiative and curtail their liberties. The Monroe Doctrine, which originally protected Latin America from European imperialism, has become the justification of a no less hateful policy of American imperialism.