DARTMOUTH HOPES RISE AFTER ROUT OF NORWICH

COACHING STAFF AIMS AT YALE AND HARVARD OBJECTIVES

Hanvoer, N. H. September 29-Encouraged somewhat by Dartmouth's 40 to 0 victory over the scrappy Norwich eleven afternoon in preparation for the Green's launched his third week's compaign this here Saturday afternoon, Coach Hawley next game with McGill. Today's practice was light including a long chalk talk, reviewing the Norwich game, and a short signal drill on the Memorial Field gridiron.

Davis Looks Good at Center

With the Canadians due to give the Green a battle on even terms, Coach Hawley is confronted with developing a much stronger line than was seen in action Saturday. Four men were used at center against Norwich and none of the candidates covered their assignment in varsity fashion. Davis, a sophomore, made the best showing, and will probably be drilled on Team A this week.

Parker, substitute tackle on last year's eleven, played an aggressive game Saturday and has almost assured himself of a regular berth if he continues his performance of the past week. The right guard position is still open to any one of four candidates and no regular assignment will be made for several weeks. Tully, last year's substitute, is outstanding at the left end position and is not being pushed hard by other candidates.

At the present the remaining line positions are being filled by letter men. Captain Bjorkman, right end, Goldstein, left tackle, and Diehl, left guard, are playing regularly.

The four letter men who started in the backfield Saturday seems to be Coach Hawley's strongest combination, although several substitutes are almost on a par with the veterans. Hall, left half, Oberlander, right half, Leavitt, fullback, and Dooley, quarterback started the season for Dartmouth. Oberlander made an impressive showing considering that he has just entered the ranks of the ball carriers, having being shifted from tackle position. He is the heaviest man in the backfield weighing about 195 pounds, is very fast, and is a triple threat man of promising ability.

Dooley was relieved by Fallon in Saturday's game and the substitute general directed the team as well as Dooley. A battle between these two men for the regular assignment is assured for the remainder of the season. Robinson and Reeder, halfbacks, are sure to replace the regulars in the early season games as Coach Hawley is giving his second team candidates as much experience as posible. 41 men were played against Norwich.

The faults of the team as brought out by the opening game were almost entirely due to lack of sufficient practice. The Green had only two weeks of training. Fumbles were frequent and the Green was penalized 100 yards to 30 yards for Norwick. Offside plays accounted for a large percentage of the penalties.

Coach Hawley's program for this week will include three scrimmage sessions in preparation for McGill, and the following week the coaching staff will point toward the Yale and Harvard games, although Vermont will battle the Green October 11.

Team A lined up in today's signal drill as follows:

Tully l.e, Goldstein l.t., Diehl l.g., Davis c., Smith r.g., Parker r.t., Bjorkman r.e., Dooley q.b., Hall, l.h.b., Oberlander r.h.b., and Leavitt f.b.