Dr. Kuang Ti Mei Delayed by Revolution; Students With Chinese Linguistic Ambitions Must Wait Another Month

The mystery of the failure of Dr. Kuang Ti Mei, the only Chinese instructor in the University, to put in an appearance at the opening of the college year was cleared up yesterday afternoon by Professor J. H. Woods of the Department of Philosophy, and who has charge of the Chinese department in the University.

According to Professor Woods, Dr. Mei was delayed in reaching his port of departure by the fighting going on among rival factions in Southern China. He finally arrived in the besieged city of Shanghai only to encounter difficulty in cashing the draft he had received from the University, and which was intended to defray his expenses to Cambridge. Three boats sailed for America before Dr. Mei finally succeeded in cashing his check, and he is now reported on his way back to Cambridge.

Dr. Mei was only recently engaged to become instructor of Chinese in the University. About five years ago he did graduate work in Cambridge, although he took his degree from the University of Southeastern Nanking in China. Preparations for his arrival included the listing in the eatalogue of an announcement of "Chinese 1" and "Chinese 2", both of which were to be under the tutelage of Dr. Mei.

When the small group of students who had elected these courses to their schedules arrived at the classroom for the first meeting, no instructor appeared to take charge of the work. Thus far, no one has been found among the University faculty who is able to teach Chinese until the arrival of Dr. Mei, and these students are receiving an unlooked for vacation. Dr. Mei will probably arrive in about four weeks.