WORDS FLY FAST AS COLLEGE POLITICIANS MEET AT VASSAR

Exton, Harvard Representative, Flays Coolidge--Latter Wins Straw Vote

Something new in political conferences took place at Vassar College last weekend when representatives from 17 colleges gathered at Poughkeepsie.

Ten of the colleges represented were women's, giving the female element of the conference a decided majority. The combined aggregation of politicians was divided into three groups at the subsequent sessions, according to party affiliations. These three groups gave vent to their partisan feelings in outbursts of cheering and singing whenever their respective choices were mentioned, under the direction of an experienced Vassar cheer leader.

The Republican Party Platform was presented by Miss Bonnie McElhinney, a Smith College senior. She attributed the progress of America as a nation to the good effects of Republican administration. She praised the Republican tariff and attacked that of the Democratic Party.

The Democratic Party was defended by William Exton '26, one of the three University representatives who attended the conference. He replied to Miss McElhinney by declaring that the Republican tariff favored "privileged classes". "This sounds like the old Democratic stuff", said Exton, "but it's the truth and can be proven". He ridiculed the Republican presentation of Coolidge as the "strong, silent man of the White House".

Miss Mary Rodney of Bryn Mawr College spoke in favor of the Progressive movement. "Really, one might think that the very fundamentals of the government were at stake", she said, referring to La Follette's desire to limit the powers of the Supreme Court, "but what the Progressive Party is really seeking is the abolition of tyranny by one branch of the government." She described La Follette's foreign policy as "refusing to let the flag follow the investor."

The conference was concluded with the taking of a straw vote of the Vassar student body. The result was as follows: Coolidge 321, Davis 180, La Follette 86.