THREE SEEDED PLAYERS IN SEMI-FINAL ROUND

Cummings, Perkins, and Allen Win Matches in Union Tennis Tournament--Upjohn Eliminated

With the Union Tennis Tournament fast approaching its conclusion, three of the seeded players have already won their way into the semi-finals.

Yesterday A. R. Allen '26 defeated D. M. Upjohn '25, in a three set match 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. It was an unexpected victory for Allen, since he was seeded number eight and Upjohn number four. Allen's steady driving won the match for him. Upjohn ran up to the net time and again only to be passed by a well placed drive.

Parke Cummings '25 also reached the semi-finals by defeating P. M. Lenhart '27, number one man on last year's freshman team, 6-4, 7-5. Lenhart was unable to do much with Cummings' service, and this weakness was costly. G. H. Perkins '26 and the winner of the L. H. Gordon '27-G. D. Debevoise '26 match will be the other two semi-finalists. Gordon, captain of the 1927 team, is favored to beat Debevoise. Gordon was seeded number three, while his opponent was number six. Allen will play Perkins, and Cummings will meet the winner of the Gordon-Debevoise match.

In the doubles the only serious upset was the defeat of E. M. Upjohn and J. McC. Roots '25, by Bernard Bandler '26 and E. S. Dabbitt '26, 6-4, 6-1. Bandler's steady drives and the accurate lobbing of Babbitt were too much for their opponents.

L. O. Pratt '26 and S. F. Collier '26 beat the Hamlen brothers 6-0, 5-7, 8-6. After the first set the two Hamlens picked up, and were ahead 4-3 in the last set, when Pratt and Collier began to lob, tactics which won them the match.