MONEY A MOTIVE FOR CHRIST'S EXECUTION

Cleansing of Temple Threatened Revenue of Jewish Priests--Did Big Meat and Money Changing Business

That Jesus action in overturning the tables of the Jewish money lenders in the Temple of Jerusalem was the chief cause for his crucifixion, was among the assertions made yesterday afternoon by Professor Kirsopp Lake before a crowd which filled Peabody Hall in Phillips Brooks House.

Professor Lake's lecture was the third of a series of Sunday lectures dealing with various religious subjects now being conducted by the Harvard Christian Association.

Jewish Priests Very Wealthy

In explaining his view as to the cause of Jesus' death, Professor Lake declared that Jesus aroused the antagonism of the Jewish priests more because he interfered with their financial gains rather than with their religious beliefs.

"The Jewish priests were notoriously wealthy," Professor Lake declared. Two of the chief sources of their revenue lay in the changing of money and the sale of animal sacrifices in the temple of Jerusalem.

"The priests maintained a regular stock yard on the Mount of Olives," he said. "In connection with animal sacrifices, the Jewish priests required that only perfect animals be offered up at the altars. As many of the animals brought for sacrifice were imperfect, the priests permitted these animals to be exchanged for perfect ones provided for that purpose, in exchange for a small fee for the inconvenience."

Had Slot Machines for Alms

In the matter of cash contributions to the temple, the priests also derived a large profit, Professor Lake declared. Both Roman and Jewish money was in circulation in Jerusalem at the time. The Jewish money was very scarce, but the priests decreed that all contributions to the church should be made in that medium. As a result, the worshippers came to the temple with their Roman money, exchanged it at money lenders' tables for Jewish money on payment of a regular fee.

"The money was then deposited in a tall, trumpet-shaped vase in the temple," Professor Lake continued. "It tinkled through to the bottom and then returned to the money lenders' tables where it was again exchanged for Roman money, and the same fee again charged."

"When these facts are considered, Professor Lake continued, "it can be seen why Jesus' action in cleansing the temple so incensed the priests. Bankers and those in the meat business have similar feelings in such episodes," he declared, "Why not the priests? They thought him a dangerous man, and urged his death upon the Roman rulers."

In his lecture Professor Lake also discussed what he called the "tangled problem" of the resurrection, of the virgin birth, and the miracles of Jesus.