SOPHOMORE SHINES IN UNIVERSITY TRACK MEET

J. S. Malick '27 Triumphs in Century and 440-Yard Dash--Juniors Take High Jump and Hurdles

The Sophomore and Junior classes yesterday divided honora for first place in the annual University Fall Handicap Track Meet, seven events of which were run off. Charles Jenney '26 won the high jump, and F. P. Kane '26, won the 140 yards low hurdles. J. S. Malick placed first both in the 100-yard dash, and the 440-yard run. The other events completed yesterday were the broad jump, the pole vault, and the two-mile run. The times in the running events were not given out.

Four More Events Today

The Meet will be completed this afternoon, when the 80-yard high hurdles, the 180-yard run, the one-mile run, and the 160-yard dash will be run off. The weight events will not be held until after the football season in order to give the men on the University elevens a chance to compete in the shot put, the hammer throw, the discus throw, and the javelin throw.

It was in the pole vault that the greatest weakness was shown yesterday. The highest actual jump was made by L. O. Combs '26, who jumped 11 feet. In former meets the University has always been week in this field. Special attention is being given to the pole vaulters this fall, in an endeavor to improve their performance. With this end in view motion pictures of various pole vaulters in action will be shown to the squad of vaulters at the Varsity Club next Monday night at 8 o'clock.

The summary of the seven events:

High Jump.--Won by Charles Jenney '26, (4 in.), 6 ft; second, A. F. Jones '25, (scatch), 5 ft., 11 in.; third, T. L. Mayhew '27, (4 in.), 5 ft., 11 in.

Broad Jump.--Won by O. V. Wederbrand '25, (6 in.), 20 ft., 2 3-4 in.; second, S. R. Jones '27, (scratch), 20 ft., 1 3-4 in.; third, Morton Smith '27, (6 in.), 19 ft., 10 7-8.

Four Hundred and Forty Yard Run. Won by J. S. Malick '27 (5 yds.); second, L. W. Ryan '26, (26 yds.); third, G. E. Barker '26, (20 yds.).

One Hundred Yard Dash.--Won by J. S. Malick '27 (3 yds.); second, O. V. Wederbrand '25, (3 yds.); third, D. B. Mooney 4E.S., (3 yds.).

Pole Vault Won by B. G. Burbank 1E.S., (1 ft). 11 ft.; second, L. O. Combs '26, (4 in.), 10 ft., 8 in.; third, Lawrence Bennett '27, (2 ft.), 10 ft., 7 in.

Two Mile Run--Won by G. C. Shepard 4E.S., (200 yds.); second Edward Gordon '27, (scatch); third, L. J. Novogrod '27, (100 yds.).

One Hundred and Forty Yard Low Hurdles--Won by F. P. Kane '26; second, George Greenslet '28; third, R. K. Knight '28