WHAT HARVARD'S FUTURE GRIDIRON OPPONENTS DID SATURDAY

All of the University's future football opponents were victorious Saturday. Princeton was the only one to be scored upon.

The Middlebury eleven, which plays in the Stadium, this week, defeated Union College 16 to 0. Holy Cross defeated St. John's College of Brooklyn 28 to 0. Dartmouth encountered McGill University of Montreal and defeated the Canadian eleven 52 to 0. Boston University was victorious over the University of Maine by a score of 6 to 0. Princeton defeated Amherst 40 to 6. Brown defeated Colby 45 to 0 and Yale defeated the University of North Carolina 27 to 0.

Middlebury 16, Union 0

Middlebury showed on Saturday, that Harvard will have trouble this week in proving that last year's 6 to 6 game was an accident. Downing Union 16 to 0, the Vermont college eleven showed an evenly-balanced attack with speed still the predominant factor. Whitney and Klenenow, the two backs who starred against the University last fall, showed conclusively that they have not lost the proficiency with their toes that cost the Crimson a victory. The last score chalked up against Union on Saturday, was a beautiful dropkick by Whitney from a very difficult angle on the 25-yard line.

Union threatened the Middlebury goal only twice and it was exceptional punting that saved the Vermont team on both occasions. The first score of the game was made by Potter, another veteran of last year's plucky team, who caught a forward pass and ran 23 yards for a score. Captain Klevenow kicked the placement goal. In the last quarter, the Middlebury forces staged an offensive that swept everything in front of it, until Klevenow again scored, this time from the five yard line on an off-tackle play. Immediately after this, the Vermonters swept down the field again in an offensive that ended with Whitney's goal from the field.

Holy Cross 28, St. John's 0

In spite of a brilliant display of interference, line strength and offensive drive, it was to its remarkable vigilance in following the ball that Holy Cross owed its 28 to 0 victory over St. Johns on Saturday. Every score but one contained something of the element of a fluke, but was made possible by an alertness that overwhelmed the St. Johns team in the first half. The first score, a goal from placement, bounced around between the uprights and the bar of the goal posts, finally falling on the playing field, but it was allowed by the referee. The second was a brilliant piece of open field running when Glennon carried a kick through the entire visiting team for a touchdown. In the second period, Crowley intercepted a pass to run 26 yards for a score. Howde, the Worcester guard, recovered a fumble that paved the way for another tally, and the final touchdown came when Crowley again pulled an enemy pass out of the air, this time on the 35 yard line.

In spite of these breaks, Holy Cross gave proof of potential power. The backs, led by the giant Crowley and the elusive Glennon tore great holes in the opposing line, and behind good interference, gained almost at will around, the ends. Crowley starred on the defense as well.

In the last half a substitute team was held scoreless by the St. Johns eleven which kept the play in the Worcester territory most of the time. Twice they carried the ball by a series of line plunges to the five yard line, and twice they were held scoreless by the stubborn resistance of the Holy Cross line. Whether they had one or not, the Holy Cross quarterbacks revealed no aerial attack, confining the play to straight football.

Dartmouth 52, McGill 0

Hanover played host to the Canadian eleven from McGill University on Saturday for the first time since 1882, and gave the visitors a decisive if not cordial welcome. Six touchdowns crashed over the McGill line. Hammering line plays and a well developed aerial attack featured the Wah-Hoo-Wah offence. One pass, from Oberlander to Robinson, went for 45 yards, while the Green team completed five out of its eight attempts, all of them for long gains.

For the first time in many years, football enthusiasts had an opportunity to see and compare the Canadian and American styles of Football play. The Montreal eleven found its greatest difficulty in combating the elaborate and crushing interference of the Dartmouth team. The Canadians' big asset, on the other hand, was a lateral pass which accounted for most of their five first downs, although Coach Hawley had been drilling his men intensively to meet such an attack.

Oberlander and Robinson, in the halfback positions, assure Dartmouth this year of a defensive and offensive strength greater than they have had for a long time. They bore the brunt of the attack on Saturday and piled up most of the scoring.

Boston U. 6, U. of Maine 0

Boston University had the narrowest squeak of Harvard's future opponents. Just six points marked the difference between B. U. and the University of Maine when the referee's whistle ended the game on the Maine team's field. Outplayed in every department of the game, it was a recovery of a Maine fumble in the first quarter inside the Maine 10 yard line that decided the game. The losers outrushed the B. U. eleven, gaining 13 first downs to seven. The B. U. team missed up all of its nine attempts for forward passes.

The game was old-fashioned football line plunging being the order of the day, and fumbling was very frequent. The Maine eleven carried the ball three times to within ten yards of the B. U. goal and B. U. took the pigskin the same distance twice, but no score resulted. The most brilliant piece of open field running that B. U. showed was when Henry carried a kickoff from behind his own goal to the middle of the field. Carlson and Hirtle were the only Boston backs who showed much offensive power.

Princeton 40, Amherst 6

Simple, rudimentary tactics gave Princeton the most impressive first-game victory in recent years. Confining his plays almost entirely to straight line plunges, the Tigers made six touchdowns, two of which quarterback Slagle scored. The entire Tiger backfield did much as it pleased with the light Amherst line. One of the features of the game to the spectators was the efficacy of Princeton's new system of silent signals. Captain Stout gave them from his wing position. The chief flaw in them seemed to be that they encouraged offside play.

The visitors earned 14 first downs against five for Amherst, most of these on straight football. The air attack was only fairly successful, five out of nine forward passes being completed. Amherst won its mead of glory as the only team to score against one of the Big Three on Saturday, when Pratt, the big right guard, pulled a Tiger forward pass out of the air, and galloped 30 yards to the goal line in the third quarter.

Brown 45, Colby 0

Brown was another of Harvard's opponents who displayed mid-season form in their opening games. Three elevens did what they wanted to a light team from Colby, and when the final whistle blew, 45 points showed the superiority of the Providence eleven. Not only was the offense strong but the Brown line gave the opposing backs the meagre satisfaction of two first downs, both of which were made through penalties.

In such an avalanche of scoring as this, it was hard to analyze any parti-

cular weakness or strength in the Bruin play. The wealth of reserve material found difficulty in eclipsing the feats of the recruits, two of whom, sent in as substitutes, seem to have won at least the right to start in Brown's big game with Chicago on Saturday. Smith filled the tackle hole left by the graduation of last year's captain, Spellman, and stopped every play that came through his side of the line. Keefer, who formerly played for the University of Michigan, proved a sensation in the backfield promising to rival Pollard, the greatest back in Brown football history. He ran rampant through the Colby line during the short time that Coach Robinson's substitutions allowed him to stay in the game.

Yale 27, U. of North Carolina 0

Captain Lovejoy of Yale duplicated Captain Greenough's feat in picking up a loose ball to score the first touchdown of the season for his team. Lovejoy's score was the first of four that the Blue team crashed over the Southerner's line, another coming in the first period, with the other two in the third and fourth quarters. The last two touchdowns were the most impressive, especially in view of the fact that the whole second team, made up mostly of 1927 players, took the field at the beginning of the second half.

North Carolina fell before the Eli eleven last year by the score of 53 to 0. Comparison of the two games shows that the Yale team this year, judged on the basis of the opening contest, lacks much of the finish and power that marked last year's championship eleven. Discounting the fact that it was the opening game, the several threats of the Southern team in front of the Yale goal post and the stubborn resistance that held the Yale backs in the second period, showed that Coach T. A. D. Jones has his work cut out for him. End runs and forward passes were the most developed items in the Yale offense, the first team meeting little success in off-tackle plays. When Allen, Bunnell, Scott, and Kline entered the backfield in the second half, they staged a procession that went 90 yards before they lost the ball. Yale's greatest scare came in this period when Devin, Carolina halfback, tore through a broken field after catching a punt, being brought to ground only on the 25 yard line