MOVE TO EVICT PROGRESSIVES

Petitions Circulate in Effort To Expel Club From Apthorp

The La Follette-Wheeler Club of Harvard may soon find itself without a home as a result of internal dissentions among the residents of Apthorp House, the college dormitory which is now serving as the headquarters for the University's progressives.

For the past week the La Follette men have been meeting at frequent intervals in No. 8 Apthorp, the room of P. T. L. Putnam '25, an active member of the club. But yesterday the club received two peremptory orders to leave the building. One was in the form of a message from Matthew Luce '91, regent of the University, requesting the club to vacate at once, on the grounds that no club could hold forth in a college building. The other came as a petition signed by nine of the 16 residents of the dormitory, expressing in no uncertain terms their displeasure at having La Follette men meeting in their midst.

The liberals immediately started a counter petition, defending the use of room No. 8 as their headquarters, but were able to get but four residents of the house to sign it. However, they intend to present their list to the regent tomorrow and protest their proposed eviction vigorously.