CROSS-COUNTRY MEN SLUMP AT PRINCETON

Macauley Smith of Yale Wins in 27.04--Breaks Course Record by 40 Seconds--Tibbetts Four Seconds Back

In a race featured by the extraordinary running of W. L. Tibbetts '26 and the poor showing of Cutcheon, Captain Chapin, Swede, and Harrison, the University placed second to Yale in the third annual H-Y-P cross-country race at Princeton Saturday morning, Yale scored 27, the University 35, Princeton 59. It was the first defeat the Crimson has experienced this season, and was unexpected by close followers of the team.

The reverse might be partially, explained by the hilly Princeton course which winds about the campus for a mile, then makes two circuits of the golf course by the graduate school, follows the Raritan canal loepath for a mile, and ends back on the campus with a stiff half-mile up-grade.

Macauley Smith Leads Pack

At the start Macauley Smith of Yale took the lead, closely followed by Tibbetts. The entire Princeton squad followed these two for the first half mile, but gradually, with the exception of Gallagher, fell into the ruck. At the mile-and-a-half mark six of the University, apparently in command of the situation, were grouped a hundred yards behind Tibbetts and the fleeting Smith. From that point Briggs, Captain Tracy of Yale, and Gallagher of Princeton pulled ahead and widened their advantage with each succeeding mile.

Have Hard Time Finding Finish

Tibbetts and Smith staged a gruelling battle for the lead throughout the whole contest. As they approached the finish, both on the verge of exhaustion, Tibbetts forced himself a few inches into the lead, but due to mistaking the finish line lost his advantage and the race. The handling of the large crowd of spectators who were allowed to cover all except three feet of the white finish line, and to stand behind it, was inexcusable. Smith finished in 27.04 and Tibbetts in 27.08. Smith broke the course record by 40 seconds.

Captain Chapin Takes Seventh Place

Briggs of Yale was third in 28.15, a minute and seven seconds behind the leaders. He was followed at some distance by Tracy, Yale, and Gallagher, Princeton. Cutcheon, Chapin, and Ryan scored sixth, seventh, and eighth for the University. Cureton and Wilmot, taking ninth and tenth, completed the winning five placers for Yale. Swede, the University's fifth man, placed twelfth.

The failure of the University was due to the inability of Cutcheon, Captain Chapin, Swede, and Harrison to give their customary support to Tibbetts. These men have hitherto placed within 40 seconds of each other, but on Saturday were 2 minutes and 15 seconds apart.

This week Coach Farrell will try to shake the team out of Saturday's costly slump in preparation for the Intercollegiates, on Monday, November 24. Last year, after losing to Dartmouth, Maine, Tech, and Yale, the Crimson came back in the Intercollegiates, defeating all four and finishing third.

On his return from Princeton, Captain Chapin said to a CRIMSON reporter: "Except for Tibbetts and Leo Ryan, we were all out of step. But when we get into the intercollegiates we'll have murder in our eyes!"