WINTER SPORTS WILL BEGIN FOR FRESHMEN

SWIMMING MEET MAY BE HELD IN BIG TREE POOL

With the close of the Fall Freshman interdormitory athletic series, the Department of Physical Education announces that actual competition in winter sports will start in the near future. The three dormitories will compete this winter in basketball, wrestling, indoor track, squash, handball and hockey. In addition there may be a number of contests in swimming, fencing and boxing if the members of the class show enough interest in those sports.

The basketball tournament will start before the Christmas vacation. A team will be picked from each dormitory and the three quintets will then play a long schedule of games, ending in the early part of March. It is probable that several teams will be chosen from each of the dormitories, so that all who wish to play the game will have an opportunity to do so.

Wrestlers Mastering Holds

Wrestling practice has been going on for several weeks and interdormitory competition will begin as soon as the novices have mastered a few holds that they can use in the matches. They are expected to reach this stage about the latter part of January.

Indoor track begins after Christmas and several meets will be held during the first months of the year between the representatives of the different dormitories.

It is problematical whether or not a competition will be held in swimming this year. At present there is no pool in which a regular meet can be held, but if the interest of the Freshmen is great enough the department will endeavor to hold a competition of some sort in the Big Tree Pool. Even if no matches are held, members of the class of 1928 may still elect swimming as their sport during the winter.

To Hold Contests in Squash

The squash season is already under way. It began last week with the Freshman tournament in the Freshman Athletic Building. The squad has been chosen for the Freshman team, and from the other men who have shown an interest in the sport three teams will be selected to compete in an interdormitory series. It is expected that a handball tournament will also be held.

The Freshman hockey season will begin as soon as the ice on the Charlesbank rinks is strong enough to play on. After the 1928 team has been chosen the other men will be divided into dormitory teams and will compete in a series of matches to determine the championship.

Large Squad Out for Fencing

Forty-five Freshmen are already practicing in Hemenway for the Freshman fencing squad, and if there are enough men left later in the season after the choice of the 1928 team it is probable that teams from Gore, Standish and Smith will be selected and hold a number of bouts together.

Many Freshmen have turned out for the boxing classes conducted by the department in Hemenway Gymnasium. Representatives of the three dormitories will be picked in all the different weights and the annual boxing tournament will decide the interdormitory champions in the various weights.