APPLIED ZOOLOGY

The Lafayette Student Council, after exhaustive research in the lore of the jungle, has chosen the leopard as the symbol for the athletic teams of the college. In this beast they find that the admirable qualities of strength, cunning, and irresistibility are combined in the proper proportions to constitute a formidable whole. Other colleges which have selected such drab beasts as the bulldog, the tiger, or the bear, have apparently not exercised a similar spirit of reason and research in their choices of animated totems.

It is surprising that in so many instances the most promising candidates have been ignored. The turtle is not particularly handsome, but he is unequalled as the symbol of a perfect defence. His speed too, if Aesop is to be believed, is far from negligible. From the viewpoint of the perfect attack the skunk is the only candidate in the field. The times cry out, however, for an animal versed in all the methods of warfare. Which fits the need more satisfactorily than the porcupine? His footwork may not be so flashy as that of some, but he has a finesse and technique all his own. Like the thistle of Scotland he makes a long remembered emblem.