PROFESSORS MUNRO AND HUDSON DISCUSS ELECTION

RESULT WILL NOT AFFECT LEAGUE SAYS PROFESSOR HUDSON

Campaign bunk is affecting the American people less in this election than in any previous one, in the opinion of Professor W. B. Munro, G '99, given while he was discussing the result of Tuesday's balloting.

"One thing which the returns show is that the people are no longer blindly voting party tickets provided by the political leaders. They are beginning to think for themselves, and are voting for the man best qualified for the office, regardless of his party affiliation. The fact that Coolidge carried New York State by 1,000,000 votes on the presidential ticket, while Al Smith was victor in the gubernatorial race by over 100,000 votes, shows that the people of that State are casting their ballots for men and not for parties."

Victory Not Purely Personal One

When asked if the Republican victory was not due more to Mr. Coolidge's personal abilities than to a superior party platform, he replied: "Admitting Mr. Coolidge's virtues, the victory cannot be completely ascribed to them. It shows that the electorate has not been stampeded by the charges made against the administration, but has considered the real record of achievement beneath."

The decisive defeat of Senator La Folette does not sound the death knell of progressivism in America, in the opinion of Professor Munro. He did not consider that the Progressives could continue in existence as a separate party with much success. "But the probability is that one or the other of the old parties, or possibly both will gradually become more progressive in their principles, he went on to state. "A formal coalition of the La Folette-Wheeler supporters with the Democrats is about as possible as for the 'solid South' to go Republican."

Professor M. O. Hudson, L. '10, declined to give a general statement about the election, but spoke specifically about the effect that a continuance of the present administration would have on American participation in the League of Nations. He said, "I think this election spells nothing either way for the League. Any President of the United States is bound to continue American cooperation along the lines already begun. I look to see the new administration push that co-operation into many new fields."