PROFESSOR MUNRO SCORES ACTIVITY OF ZIONISTS

DECLARES JEWS ARE IN MINORITY IN PALESTINE

"Before I went to Palestine last year, I was a confirmed Zionist, but now I think that the Jews ought not to have Palestine", said Professor Dana Carleton Munro, of Princeton, in the course of a lecture on "Impressions of Syria", before the History Club last evening.

"In Palestine", he continued, "there are 25 religions and 40 different tongues. The Moslem Arabs make up 78 per cent of the population and the Hebrews only 11 per cent, of whom many are Christians."

Professor Munro's conclusions are particularly timely in that President Eliot, who is very much interested in the Zionist movement, and on the whole favorable to it, is speaking this afternoon on the problems of Zionism in Peabody Hall at 5 o'clock.

Russian Jews a Big Influence

"There is one feature of Zionism which is particularly interesting," went on Professor Munro, "There are a number of Russian Jews, who call themselves 'pioneers'. They emigrated to Palestine, and are farming the country with striking success. These young men and women, the latter of whom bob their hair, are between 20 and 30 years old, and dress and act very much like college men and girls in America. They are the most virile part of the movement, but they are not Jewish by religion. They are free thinkers."

In speaking of the sources from which he got his information, Professor Munro said.

"While I did not get much information from the British officials, I got more than I wanted from their wives and sisters."

Professor Munro also spoke about conditions in Syria, which is under French control. He said that he did not agree with the conclusion drawn by the Crane Report that the Syrians hated the French. One Arab chief summed up to him very well the attitude of the Syrians toward the French.

"'We play with them: when they get angry, we get angry: we argue with them, whereas one cannot argue with the English.'"