Reviewer Finds Much Merit in First Issue of Business School Year Book

The following review of the Business School Year Book was written for the Crimson by Assistant Dean Shaw Livermore of the Graduate School of Business Administration.

The first of a projected annual series of Business School Year Books has set a high standard both in form and in content. Its size and the use of flexible covers make it very convenient for ready reference use on the desks of the men in the School.

A dedication is very properly made to Mr. George F. Baker, who has insured the future of the School by his gift of last spring--"Through his generosity and foresight he has given the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration increasing opportunity for training men to a greater understanding of the purpose of business and a fuller appreciation of business integrity."

A letter from Dean Donham also appearing at the front of the book expresses sympathy with the purpose of the annual in furthering friendship among the students who come from practically all parts of the country and from many foreign nations. This is the primary value and usefulness of the book to the men. It is a purpose which has characterized many of the activities of the students of the Business School during the past few years with a success that has perhaps been greater than in any other of the large graduate schools in Cambridge.

Short personal histories of the members of the Faculty provide information that often is not known to the students in the School at all, and in any case not for several months after the men have been in the school.

Some variation in the type of material presented in these sketches is probably due to the personal preference of the men in question; but a better collective impression could be gained if there were greater uniformity and order in the facts given in each case. More detailed specifications or questions presented to the Faculty members would aid in securing such uniformity.

The furnishing of the past history of the students of the School with the exception of their college or university and class is in line with the pronounced tendency of the student body to form new friendships and acquaintances while in Cambridge entirely irrespective of former college or personal obligations. The Information given includes the Cambridge address and phone number of each man, together with membership, if any, on the various active committees of the Business School Club or on the Business Review Board.

The appearance of the cuts and printing is good throughout. The advertisement pages especially make a good impression. The response of the student body in supporting this project proves conclusively that it is meeting a real need of the School. It is in real accord with the efforts of the administration and student organizations in achieving the greatest possible advantages for the student body in the short time they are in Cambridge.

A great deal of unselfish effort on the part of a group of students, headed by J. E. Chace Jr. and Owen M. Smith of the second year class, is behind the publication of the book.