FIND PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE COLORLESS

Economics Professor Likes Coolidge Stand on Price-Fixing -- Young Disagrees on Tax Reduction

No enthusiastic reception greeted President Coolidge's address to Congress yesterday among the members of the University faculty. There was a general feeling among those who were interviewed that the message was colorless and uninformative. "Nothing new" and "disappointing" were among the remarks that were made.

Professor Manley O. Hudson G'10, Bemis Professor of International Law and member of the Legal section of the Secretariat of the League of Nations, was clearly disappointed with the President's stand on the World Court. He said, "The President's insistence on the 'recommendation which is now before the Senate' with reference to the Permanent Court of International Justice is welcome, indeed, but it is to be regretted that he now attaches a further condition. The advisory opinions given by the Court do not bind any State; and I can see no reason for our putting a condition that the United States should not be bound by them."

Carver Agrees On Price Fixing

Professor T. N. Carver of the Department of Economics expressed himself as being entirely in agreement with President Coolidge on the subject of governmental price fixing. He said in part, "President Coolidge has endorsed a sound principle of economics in condemning government price fixing through legislative action. If one did have the wisdom and the power to fix prices, the values chosen would probably not be far from the natural ones determined by the laws of supply and demand. But such a standard would be very inconvenient compared with the flexible and automatic natural one."

Professor A. A. Young, Professor of Economics said: "I do not agree with President Coolidge's statement that the bases of taxation should be scientifically revised downward as it does not seem to me that tax reduction is a matter of prime importance at the present time. I heartily agree with his suggestion that income taxes should not be made public in the future, as was the case this year."

Professor A. N. Holcombe, when asked to comment on President Coolidge's message last night, stressed the reference that was made to the question of negro suffrage in the South. He said, "From the standpoint of the student of government the most striking feature of the president's message is his reference to the constitutional rights of negroes. If the President means by this that the federal government should secure for southern negroes the right to vote he is reopening a question which has not been brought before congress since the defeat of the Force bill 25 years ago. A similar measure if pushed today would probably revive a bitter controversy. It remains to be seen whether the president means all that his message implies.