BEWHISKERED BUGBEARS

The greatest international enemies of Soviet Russia are the communists in foreign countries. In an excess of zeal they consistently do their bit to block Russia's efforts to reestablish herself among nations.

Their latest stroke of perverse genius was the demonstration staged in Paris upon the arrival of Leonid Krassin, the first ambassador of Soviet Russia to France. For months, the Soviet government sought recognition from France, and for months the French wavered between rejecting and accepting the Russian protestations of good faith. At last came recognition, and with it. Russian international stock took on a bullish tone.

Then, though the moment whispered "Caution! You're on good behavior!" the evil genius of the French communists urged "Up and at 'em!" Upon the first appearance of a real, live Soviet ambassador, the streets of Paris rang with cries of "Vivent Ies soviets!" No wonder French Republicans repeat the Arab fable of the camel which, when granted leave to stick his head inside the hut to shield it from the cold, grew insolent and dispossessed the owner altogether.

In cosmopolitan Paris there can be found some people to proclaim anyone or anything from Voliva of Zion City to the Great Cham of Tartary. Such demonstrations cannot be taken, therefore, with the naive faith the newspapers seem to accord them. They do, however, feed the popular fear that every communist is an unshorn, unwashed carrier of death and destruction.

No state of mind is so uncompromising to the hopeful student of Russia as that which lets itself be led astray by these bugbears of the press. In spite of Russia's youthful errors of enthusiasm there still are some who believe a new order will spring, like the Phoenix, from the ashes of the Romanoff autocracy.