The old St. Paul's Catholic Church on the corner of Holyoke Street and Mt. Auburn Street is being razed to make way for an apartment house. The work will take about six weeks.
The church was built in 1831 by the Congregationalists who withdrew from the church which at that time stood next to Wadsworth House and the congregation included Unitarians and Congregationalists. The Unitarians built the church which now stands on the westerly side of Harvard Square.
Owing to the autiquity of its building, the St. Paul's congregation built a brick church on Bow Street which was first used at Easter in 1923. The old church was still used for the daily services and the new one for Sunday rituals until last spring, when it was abandoned.