RENAISSANCE IN DRAMA IS COMING SAYS DE BOSIS

Pirandello, Shaw, and O'Neill Give Voice to Longing for New Ideals--O'Neill America's Best

"A new and glorious theatre, based on the junction of art and philosophy, is about to give rise to a fresh Renaissance in the drama" said Prof. DeBosis, visiting Italian dramatist, speaking last night in Emerson D on "The Italian Theatre."

"The history of the Italian theatre in the last twenty years has been an endeavor to express the struggle between man's real nature and the conventions, or masks, as Pirandello expresses it, which bind and hem in man's individuality. Pirandello in Italy, Shaw in England, and O'Neill in America have given voice to this nameless longing for new ideals and for a new life in which man shall triumph over an artificial standard of morality and social conventions.

"Pirandello, creator of 'Six Characters in Search of an Author' is probably the best example of this movement."

When asked about his opinion of the American theatre. Professor de Bosis was loud in praises of O'Neill's plays, especially the "Hairy Ape". O'Neill himself told Professor de Bosis that he was greatly influenced by Pirandello's conception of life when he wrote the "Hairy Ape".

When asked to compare Shaw and Pirandello, he declared. "Shaw is probably much cleverer than Pirandello, but the latter is more intellectual and serious in his attitude towards life. The Irish dramatist writes his plays with a moral mission in the back of his mind, while Pirandello only wants to give utterance to his defiance of conventionalities."