E. B. SHELDON TO JUDGE BELMONT PRIZE PLAYS

ANNUAL $500 PRIZE OFFERED BY BELMONT THEATRE

Edward B. Sheldon '08, eminent playwright and author of the "Nigger", "Salvation Nell", "Romance" and other plays will be the new judge in the Belmont Theatre Prize Competition for this year, it was announced yesterday by the 47 Workshop.

This prize, of $500, is offered annually by the Belmont Theatre in New York for the prose dramatic composition of at least three acts adjudged by a committee to be best suited for professional production. The competition is open only to past and present members of English 47 or 47a in Harvard or Radcliffe who have not previously had a professional production of a long play. Manuscripts must be in the hands of Professor G. P. Baker '87 by May 1, 1924. Without permission no person may submit more than two manuscripts.

The Committee of Judges this year will be: Mr. R. G. Herndon or a representative named by him; Professor Baker or his representative and Edward Sheldon. In 1922 the third judge was Mr. Walter Prichard Eaton '00 and in 1923, Robert Benchley '18.

As soon as the judges reach a decision the successful author will receive the $500, which is not in lieu of any royalties. He will also receive a contract guaranteeing a production of the play within six months of its acceptance. In 1922 "You and I" by Philip Barry won the prize and was produced in 1923 in New York and Chicago. In 1923 the award went to Miss Dorothy Kuhn's comedy "The Dud" which is scheduled for production in New York this season.