ALTERS CHECK, CASHES IT, AND ABSCONDS WITH $1000

Such Is Basis of Fictitious Case for Ames Competition Trial

The last second-year Ames Competition case of the season will be tried this evening at 8 o'clock in Austin Hall, when the Ames-Gray fictitious clients sue the imaginary constituents of the Scott Club for $1000.

For the Ames-Gray Club, T. H. Adams 21, and E. S. Dillon 21, will represent the "Marine National Bank" which is trying to recover the amount of an altered check unknowingly certified by one of its cashiers, cashed by the "American Trust Company" and collected from the plaintiff bank. The defendant bank on learning of the frand withdrew the credit of the man who had brough in the check and deposited the money to his account. The criminal absconded. The plaiutiff bank credited its customer the amount of the check, and is now trying to collect with interest the money it had lost from the defendant bank, which has had no loss. Melbourne Bergerman 21, and William Gresser 2L, will be the Scott Club's lawyers for the defense.

In past Ames Competition trials the arguments have turned to quibbles over the laws justly in force on the case. This trial promises to show some ingenious legalities, for the Negotiable Instruments Act is the only statute in force under the conditions.