SEE-SAW GAME GOES TO PENN FIVE 26-24

Tallies Winning Foul Points and Holds University Captain Scoreless--Rauh and Smith Lead Harvard Attack

A bombardment of Harvard shots in the last two minutes failed to drop through the hoop and the final whistle found the Crimson quintet trailing the Pennsylvania five 26 to 24 last night in the most bitterly contested struggle of the season.

The lead shifted constantly and neither team gained more than a four-point margin at any time. The visitors jumped away to an early lead through the sparkling individual work of Captain Carmack and Dessen. The Crimson quickly made up the deficit, however, in a spirit which revealed the most versatile offense shown this year. Rauh and Smith tossed in exceptionally pretty goals. Pennsylvania rallied in turn and led 18 to 17 at half time.

Crimson Loges 3-Point Lead

Goals by Smith, Rauh, and Samborski in the second half gave the home players a 23 to 20 lead with nine minutes to go. Both teams were using a tenacious five-man defense and for a time scoring was at a standstill, but finally Knaess broke away from Rauh and caged an easy shot from under the basket. A moment later he tallied on a free throw and the game was dead-locked.

A foul goal by Gordon was immediately balanced by one by Morris of the visitors, and on another foul Leopold made good two free throws, giving the Red and Blue its victory margin, 26 to 24. With two minutes still to play, a foul gave two free throws to the Crimson, but the Quakers immediately asked for time out. When play was resumed, Smith missed both of his free throws. Thereafter one Crimson shot followed another in quick succession but none of them dropped through the net.

Gordon Fails to Score From Floor

Rauh and Smith excelled for Harvard, Knaess and Leopold for the visitors. The latter not only scored the winning points for his team from the foul line, but his brilliant guarding kept Captain Gordon from scoring a single goal from the floor, the first time this year the Harvard leader has been held scoreless.

Score, Pennsylvania 26, Harvard 24. Goals from the floor, Rauh 4, Smith 3, Samborski 2, Dessen 3, Lindsay 2, Carmack 2, Knaess. Goals from Fouls, Gordon 3, Rudofsky 2, Rauh, Leopold 5, Knaess 2, Morris, Dessen, Carmack Referee, Towers. Umpire, Sullivan. Time, 20-minute halves. Harvard  Pennsylvania Smith, r.f.  l.g., Carmack Gordon, Merriam, l.f.  r.g., Leopold Rauh, c.  c., Block, Lindsay, Knaess Samborski, r.g.  l.f., Dessen Rudofsky, Black, l.g.  r.f., Knaess, Morris