ANOTHER MICROCOSM

Squash again leaps into the headlines, and the University is able to boast another champion. The CRIMSON is only expressing the sentiments of the University in congratulating Captain Dixon on his victory.

The rapid growth of squash as a college sport has been extraordinary and presents points of interest to the student of undergraduate athletics. But perhaps more suggestive to contemplate is the future of the game.

Its characteristics are those of the era, more especially of the decade. Played in a small space, over a short period of time, fast and breathlessly competitive, individual to the last degree and really getting nowhere in the end, it is marvellously comparable to the life of the average American citizen. Distinctly a product of the times, it is of immeasurable value as the only sport available for over-rushed city workers, and as such its coming development can only be surmized.

Each year the modern man contrives new methods to meet the rush of a civilization so much newer than himself, and with almost every invention he gets a half-hitch on progress and pulls himself up a few degrees to a more equal footing. The history of the world, the outline of science, digests of the world's humor, even the recent "Outline of Everything" show more or less the same tendency--the attempt to gain much in little. Even the newspapers cater to the general desire to understand all about the universe before breakfast. And the large reaction lurking in a cocktail, though sought by only the most debased, is sought with a similar, if somewhat tarnished, end in view.

Kindred to all of these squash has come not only to stay but to contribute very definitely to the enjoyment of life. Probably not every undergraduate can become state champion, but those who learn squash while the facilities and time are offered can look forward to an existence not entirely grey. For they will have at their command a form of physical relaxation somewhat more entertaining than the Swedish drill, Indian clubs, and medicine balls of their ancestors.