Plympton, Linden, Holyoke Streets Designated One-Way Thoroughfares--Police Lenient Until Signs Are Posted

Harvard men are only saved by a lenient police force from being arrested every time they drive their cars from Massachusetts Avenue down Linden or Plympton Streets to Mount Auburn Street or back to Massachusetts Avenue by way of Holyoke Street, it was announced yesterday by officials at the Cambridge City Hall.

On Tuesday an ordinance was passed including in the list of one way streets Holyoke Street southerly with parking on the western side only, and Linden and Plympton Streets northerly with parking on the eastern side only. This ruling has been duly advertised and went into effect last night.

However the Superintendent of Streets told a CRIMSON reporter yesterday that signs would not be set up for a few weeks. Clerk of Committees Toomey expressed the opinion that until signs were erected the police, department would not enforce the rules, although technically summons might be served at any time.

The question of making these streets restricted has been brought up many times in the past, but it is believed that the final decision came only when a city truck could not navigate through the maze of cars parked on Linden Street.