ART, LETTERS, HISTORY AMONG NEW PUBLICATIONS

Books by Chase and Grandgent Appear on Spring List of University Press--Includes Revolutionary Diary

Five new volumes, including important works by Professor George H. Chase '96 and Professor Charles H. Grandgent '83, comprise the completed list of the Harvard University Press' spring publications which was announced yesterday. They will be issued during the month of March.

Professor Chase's book, which is entitled "Greek and Roman Sculpture in American Museums," is a new interpretation of classical sculpture, based mainly on monuments in important American art centers.

"Discourses on Dante," Professor Grandgent's book, comprises a number of essays which serve as a fresh interpretation of Dante's thought and of Italian literature. Professor Grandgent is admittedly the leading American critic of Dante.

The twenty-sixth volume in the Harvard Economic Studies, on "Canada's Balance of International Indebtedness 1900-1913," by Jacob Viner G. '15, is the next book on the list. It is a study of Canada's experiences under peculiar conditions, which served as a test of the classical theory of the mechanism of international trade.

"Prophets of Yesterday", by John Kelman, well-known minister of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church of New York City, deals with the significance of the teachings of Thomas Carlyle, Matthew Arnold, and Robert Browning in modern thought.

The final volume is a diary written by a British officer, Lieutenant John Barker, during the years 1774, 1775, and 1776, when he was stationed in Boston. Only parts of it have been published before; the whole has been passed down by a devious course; its authorship has been determined with great difficulty. Entitled "The British in Boston", it throws important light upon many occurrences during the period, besides illuminating the British view-point on many well-known events. Its notes are by Elizabeth Ellery Dana.